9/12/11

LANA DEL REY - VIDEO GAMES



I'm loving the lyrics of Lana Del Rey's recent buzzed up 'Video Games'. Aren't all the indie girlfriends of video game addicted boyfriends supposed to feel this way (I know I do)? Or am I supposed to interoperate 'Video Games' more, ermm, metaphorically (how un-relevent)? The song's chorus: 


It's you, it's you, it's all for you
Everything I do
I tell you all the time
Heaven is a place on earth with you
Tell me all the things you want to do
I heard that you like the bad girls
Honey, is that true?
It's better than I ever even knew
They say that the world was built for two
Only worth living if somebody is loving you
Baby now you do



Now these are the kind of lyrics that make you want to cry, beautiful yet kind of sad in a weird way. A nostalgic voice reminiscent of days gone by singing about modern life, one that could only be understood by a girl in love. "Heaven is a place on earth tell me all the things you want to do" is quite a raw thing to say. I feel like a feminist would have a heyday with these lyrics.


But these lyrics coupled with this depressing melody... my god! For some reason music get the water works flowing for me like movies can't. Music is life, relatable and fresh. It's in our ears. It's a brain invasion. Movies? Eh, whatever.


I've been trying desperately in vain to find a remix that livens this song up but doesn't completely change its feel. I haven't really had any success so far. What makes this song so great is that it makes me completely effing nostalgic and depressed. See the problem? Sitting on the bus listening to Lana Del Rey getting depressed is about the last thing I need to be doing. Not the best way to start the day.


The youtube verdict?