10/10/11

SPEAK - CARRIE



I know this song has been floating around for a while. Even so, SPEAK's first actual album came out a few weeks ago, so I thought it fitting. Speak is now relevant again. I was going to go to their album release concert/ party on the first with the bf, but it was between that and karaoke and I was torn... you get the picture. Karaoke beat out Speak, and I had to buy the album on itunes. Lame. 


Anywhoo, here we are. A REAL Speak album. For fans from the beginning I Believe In Everything isn't totally new, though this could be said about just any band with an early following. Songs like "Stand By Us" and even "Carrie" have been on repeat on my dinky ipoop for a long time now. Most of this album is nothing new to me, but for those who haven't discovered them yet this won't be a bad thing. Now you may wonder why I bought the album if I already knew and had many of the songs. Ah ha! I did indeed buy songs I already have. I don't care. I thought it'd be a good way to support a band I like. I'm not sure now. Wine may or may not have been involved in the decision making process.


"Stand By Us" is still probably my favorite song on the new album, though it has been a favorite of mine for the longest. Catchy lyrics and an upbeat tempo are a winning combination in my book. I couldn't find a good video including the song on youtube, so I linked another Speak song, "Carrie", above. "Carrie" was released on itunes eons ago (June 2011). Just listen to it. If you enjoy how AWESOME it is then Speak may just be a band for you.


I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is addicted to this indie pop hybrid shit. It's not mainstream enough to be full on pop music yet not hardcore enough to be considered rock. Hence indie pop. Toro Y Moi, Foster the People- indie pop. I feel a little guilty when I listen to this kind of music. I feel like a sucker. I really do. Indie pop sucks in girls like me by making alternative music cute, upbeat, and fun. Why oh why... 


As for youtube, well it seems we have a Speak love fest so far:












On another note, my boyfriend way back when, I mean a few years ago, went to music school with Speak band member, Joey. I guess you could say they were acquaintances, or at least facebook friends now. I find that pretty cool.